Easy Low-Carb Snacks for Your High-Stress Life
|Habanero BBQ Almonds|
It doesn't matter if you're on a low-carb diet (e.g.; Atkins, South Beach, Ketogenic, Paleo) or just looking for ways to snack smarter and reduce your calories. Everyone needs tasty and convenient snack foods. So I've created a list of foods that are delicious, low in carbs, and supremely simple. They'll require little or no preparation and can often be bought online or at a nearby grocery or convenience store. When you're feeling tired, stressed, hungry, tipsy, or lazy, the last thing you want to do it cook a meal from scratch. So beat your temptations by keeping some of these keto-friendly snacks nearby at all times...just in case.
I published my first list of low-carb snacks in April 2014 and the post was wildly popular on Reddit and Facebook. That prompted me to expand the list and give it a separate page on the site. Definitely check out the "KetoFlu Munchies" post for an explanation of my favorite snacks.
|Buy a bag online|
1. Blue Diamond BOLD Flavored Almonds
These are far-and-away my favorite snack. Here's a quote from my first snack post:
"BOLD flavored almonds from Blue Diamond are a fucking culinary masterpiece. I buy these almonds every week by the pound (literally 16oz bags). They sort of remind me of those flavored pretzel pieces from Snyder's; they're just as tasty, except low carb, high fat, and high fiber."Blue Diamond has a ton of different flavors, but my favorites are Habanero BBQ, Jalapeno Smokehouse, and Wasabi & Soy Sauce. 1 serving size is 28 nuts and has 2-3 net carbs (depending on the flavor you choose). The high fat content in almonds makes these a perfect snack on the ketogenic diet. But more importantly, they taste friggin amazing. Try one of their flavors now.
2. Quest Low Carb Protein Bars
|See all the flavors|
3. Pork Rinds - Fried Pork Skins - Chicharrones
|Hot & Spicy|
Pork rinds (also known as chicharrones) are a popular kind of fried pork skins. They're extremely low in carbohydrates and are a convenient source of fat. The best part is that pork rinds are extremely common in the U.S. and can be bought in pre-packaged bags at most convenience stores. Pork rinds are a great snack for anyone who misses munching on carby snackfoods like chips or pretzels. You can pop open a vacuum-sealed bag of Baken-Ets from your local 7-11 and them dip them in sour cream, guacamole, or ranch dressing for extra deliciousness. Chips will seem like a second-class citizen after you enjoy these. And if you like things a little spicier, I'd definitely recommend the Hot & Spicy flavor of Baken-Ets.
4. Cheese Sticks & Cheese BlocksBefore developing an obsession with flavored almonds, cheese sticks were my essential ketogenic snack food. Eating high-fat foods is a great way to curb hunger and prevent cheating on your diet. And with so many different types of cheeses available, you can integrate it a million different ways without every getting bored. Some of my favorite cheese variations are:
- Cabot Habanero Cheddar Cheese: 110 cal; 9g fat; 7g protein; 0g carbs
- Frigo "CheeseHeads" Mozzarella Cheese Sticks: 80 cal; 6g fat; 6g protein; 0g carbs
- Cabot Pepper Jack Cheese: 110 cal; 9g fat; 7g protein; 0g carbs
- Wish-Bone Buffalo Blue Cheese Dressing: 130 cal; 13g fat; 0g protein; 1g carbs
- Bonuses: Cream Cheese, Whipped Cream, & President Pub Cheese